LCFS Workshop Update – November 20, 2014
The California Air Resources Board (ARB) presented the latest results for indirect land use conversion (iLUC) emissions for biofuels at today’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard Indirect Land Use Change Values workshop in Sacramento. These iLUC emissions in g CO2e/MJ fuel are shown below.
iLUC emissions in g CO2e/MJ fuel:
- Corn Ethanol: 20
- Sugarcane ethanol: 19.6
- Soy Biodiesel: 27
- Canola Biodiesel: 14.5
- Sorghum Ethanol: 12.7
- Palm biodiesel: 46.4
Key issues that remain to be examined in the iLUC discussion:
- The fate of harvested wood products
- Elasticity factors of substitution
- The effect of double cropping
- The effect of other carbon stock emission factors including the CCLUB model from Argonne National Laboratory
- The effect of co-products
To access the whole presentation, click here: Low Carbon Fuel Standard Re-Adoption Indirect Land Use Change (iLUC) Analysis.